Monday, September 5, 2011

Frat Boys and "Rape"

A friend was over at my house, checking his Facebook while we waited for more friends to arrive. I saw that one of his frat acquaintances had changed his status to "Dungheap Douchebag got raped." Not only that, no less than 5 people had liked his status.

Upon seeing this, I asked my friend for the keyboard, and started typing a harsh response to this asshole's consideration. Does he not have a sister? Does he think he's the king or something? I also thought a lot of judgmental and assumed things about fraternity people. My friend flustered, asked me to stop, that his acquaintance was just joking, that it wasn't anything serious.

I shouldn't even limit it to frat boys, but just ... people who have never been exposed or thought of the things that happen outside of their world. But, from what I've read on Facebook, almost all of the people who use the word "rape" with such frivolity were guys in fraternities. Can you think of a girl using the same word to describe doing poorly on a test? Of course not, because if a girl says it, it automatically means that thing that happened when a girl dressed and acted like a slut, and got what was coming to her. Of course.

There are few things that will ignite me into a frenzy. Such poor use of a word almost exclusively used to describe a horrible occurrence is one of them. I want to personally e-mail this guy and his friends and yell at them, but really, what am I but an ugly feminist girl who hasn't gotten laid in forever? Hm... I'll check the feminist box...

Unless it's the plant rape... which is the kind of cabbage from which rapeseed oil comes from.

No comments:

Post a Comment