Sunday, September 25, 2011

Adaptability

Today I was at a dinner with a bunch of my mother's old friends (read: free food. good food). First was dinner, then was dessert. During dessert, one of the husbands brought up a joke that after the night my mother was going to pay me 2000 bucks; my brother and I were so calm and well-behaved! And we laughed and joked about it. And on the way home, my mother, brother and I chuckled about it together. I'm wondering where people are getting the idea that if I'm left to my own devices in a contained environment, I won't be able to stand it. I've been doing it for years. I've had years and years of training. Driving to grandma's, sitting through dinners where there were no other kids and I had to find ways to entertain myself... I can sit through a whole 2-hour dinner where I have no idea what the people around me are saying, and find something interesting. Watching how they interact, how they express themselves... I don't need a GameBoy, I don't need a phone or a book. I can go to Vegas and not say a word and just look out the window. The only problem I have with flights is the lack of stretching room. Perhaps that's why I'm constantly thinking. You need to find ways to occupy yourself as a child. In reality, I'm not well-behaved at all; I just learned to daydream.

No comments:

Post a Comment