Saturday, March 19, 2011

Helping Hand

Today I helped my mom and cousin out at the LA Times Travel & Adventure Show. After a while my mother told me to go help Japan; I was getting bored and it was already starting to slow down (we ran out of freebies to give to guests). So I went to the Japan booth.

Due to the earthquakes and tsunamis, Japan abandoned their travel booth as they felt they were in no position to promote travel to Japan. Instead, a relief fund booth was set up, some from the Consulate General of Japan and some travel agents who decided to help out. They placed boxes with slots for donations that would go directly to the Japanese Red Cross, and in return were folding paper cranes to give to anyone who wanted one. The paper crane represents peace and harmony. So, I sat down and helped them fold more cranes; they were barely keeping up with the demand of paper origami cranes.

I learned two things. Firstly, a guy who was keen on chatting with me turned out to be the older brother of this girl I had sung with in high school. Her name, Yuka and his, Yuji/Yuuji.Small world. Secondly, doing even the smallest thing can mean a great deal to another person. I spent 4 hours folding paper cranes and was repeatedly asked if I was ok, if I was tired, how I could be so dedicated to something that didn't benefit me in any way. The way I looked at it, I was making shit. I was making cranes, and teaching random passersby who wanted to learn how to make cranes. Speaking to my mother later about it, she informed me that to the person who has nothing, even the smallest gesture of kindness means a great deal. To a homeless beggar on the street, a piece of bread is a godsend. So even though I was just chilling and folding cranes (and not handing out brochures about China whose booth, by the way, was the most businesslike and boring booth at the whole convention), my being there just helping them meant a great deal, especially since I wasn't even Japanese. The concept is still a bit foreign to me, but the philosophy of it all is touching.

If you would like to donate money to be sent directly to Japan, please don't donate to the American Red Cross, as only a portion of the donation will go to Japan. Instead, donate to the Consulate General of Japan, who will directly forward the donation to the Japanese Red Cross.

They are accepting donations by check.
Pay to: Consulate General of Japan
Memo: Earthquake Aid
Mailing Address: Consulate General of Japan
                          350 S. Grand Ave., Suite 1700
                          Los Angeles, CA 90071-3472
                          (Earthquake Aid)

No comments:

Post a Comment