Monday, October 17, 2011

99%

I honestly don't understand what these people are protesting about. Whenever I visit the site, there is no set mission statement. The "About" page says nothing about what it's really about. So, I'm left to believe that it's about people who make less than $593k a year complaining about corporate greed. And that the starters of this movement have socialist views (which are quite nice in theory).

From Wikipedia, I got that the majority of the movement aren't happy because they did everything they were supposed to (go to school, get a degree, work) but are still in financial ruin, suffering while the top 1% are all humpty dumpty in their CEO's chairs and celebrity mansions.

 My entire family came to this country during an unnecessary war without any money, only the shirts on their backs and some important family possessions (ancestor's bones, photographs...). From nothing, they worked their asses off and I can say that most of them are at or above the 53rd percentile of income now. My own nuclear family is around the 80th percentile. My parents went to community college and never got a degree but worked their asses off. We live in the (not really disputed) safest city in the US. My mother isn't in financial ruin. Making a little more money a year would help a little with living in an exclusively upper middle-class city, but she's not complaining because she got here through years and years of hard work. The only part of the "American Dream" formula she followed was "working your ass off," and it paid off. I asked her what she thought about the protests, and she said that people these days expect an A for C-grade work.

And... isn't this income disparity a side effect of capitalism? Wasn't this predicted by some economist years and years ago?

Anyway, I'd like to see an actual goal... overall goal, short-term goal... anything. 

No comments:

Post a Comment