I'm not even sure where to start. But here's today's "A of the Day."
Today we had a monthly test. As it turns out, I finished first. I don't know if that means I'll get the best grade, but I'm 90% confident that I will do well. It seems that I am becoming a fan of the tactical conversation. Instead of saying "That was the easiest test ever," say "I think I did well." Again, once again proving insecurities about being on top, on achieving, it seems that people, or at least this girl, will do that. Unless that really is just part of her personality, people say some things for a reason. There's no reason to tell the whole world you thought the test was the easiest ever.
The next class we had a speaking test. Being Chinese, if I fail a speaking test, it's practically a sin against nature. Chinese people cannot possibly fail a Chinese speaking test. Because I hadn't slept well the night before (I danced the tango with a mosquito who fell in love with my face), I immediately raised my hand so I could go first, and the teacher ushered the rest out. It didn't go as smoothly as planned, but it still went well and she could tell I had no real problem with speaking. She gave me a candy bar as an early birthday present. Anyway. I get out, and am immediately bombarded by my classmates as to what was on the exam. Before I could compose myself and tell them it was exactly what she (the teacher) said it would be, I had divulged some information. But, they wanted to know one thing: how the difference between the 一s and 不s were presented, because their tones change according to the next word. After getting annoyed because really, it's not that hard, A decides to say "Don't start freaking out, we're just asking a question!" to which I retort, "I'm not the one freaking out, YOU ARE. I already finished the test. If it's so worrisome, you should have studied for it." which shuts her up, but doesn't really perturb the others, as they don't really have that great of a grasp of the English language. As the next person comes out, the remaining people flock toward her to ask her if it was just as easy, and A says to me "Oh look, nobody cares about you anymore, they got everything they wanted." Really, anyone who knows me knows I don't give a shit about that stuff, but the comments she makes sometimes really make me think that she says them simply to get a rise out of others, or to make herself feel good by putting down others because she has an achievement complex, clearly displayed during class when she will repeatedly ask me what I'm doing, if I don't get something. Condescendingly. Or maybe Portuguese people just speak that way. Who knows.
Something I also don't like: pretend knowledge. I've seen this girl say some things, only to be inquired further. Stumped, or because it's actually true (unlikely, this happens all the friggen time), she says she doesn't remember. She once told a Hungarian classmate that she loved Hungarian food, that Hungarian soups were so yummy and filling. When asked what her favorite Hungarian soup was, she stuttered and replied weakly with an "I don't remember… but it was really good!" Nice save. Back to pretend knowledge. Hungary girl invited the class out for dinner after the exam to celebrate… in the end only she, A and I attended. She brought some of her boyfriend's Hungarian friends who were vacationing (why?) in Beijing. It's a bit of a traditionalist view for me to want to pick something really cool and special for people who have never had Beijing food… but since we came with A… she first insisted on looking at a menu she could not read (Have I mentioned that whenever we go out she refuses to speak Chinese and defers to me every time Chinese is needed? And pouts when I sit there and tell her to talk to them herself as we're in the same friggen class and this is China, what should she expect?) and then when I had asked to look at it and gave some suggestions said no way, gross, I don't like that, that is so expensive, it doesn't look good. I forgot, with white people you let them choose whatever because most of them, for some reason, don't like to deviate from what they're used to. So… we had Peking duck, kung pao chicken, and sweet and sour chicken. Really, that is what we ordered. Because only Portuguese people can cook fish right and Hungarians aren't really fish eaters, which I can understand. But seriously, if I want sweet and sour chicken, I can go to Panda Express. You bring people to a new city and to introduce them to the food, you give them the same crap they eat at their own shitty "Chinese" restaurants. There must be something I'm not getting.
Am I ok? Am I ok? No, I'm not ok.
But, it seems, it's either this or be alone all the time.
I even wanted to go back to the dorm with this cool guy who decided to join us last minute, and she tagged along. Leech.
I hope the day comes when I can rant about something other than this girl. But, who shall I rant to? All my "friends" here who are also friends with her? Mos def not.
Thursday, September 30, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment