Monday, June 24, 2013

unpopular opinion

I'm not sure where to begin this rant. I guess I'll just go for it. One of my favorite sites has been complaining of the lack of clothing for plus-sized people. My first reaction was, "Have you ever thought of the opposite side of the spectrum?" As a petite-sized person, I rarely find clothing that fits me well without having to alter it.

And then I thought some more. Maybe this makes me a weightist, or whatever new word has been devised for weight discrimination, fine. I think the problem is more with American entitlement. Do you see the rest of the world as fat as us, with people insisting that clothing be made to fit sizes 16 and up? How the hell do you even get to a size 16? I have never heard of a baby born fat, only a baby made fat. Genetic predisposition, fine. But I'm pretty sure the average child born in America isn't predisposed to be size 16 and up. I'm essentially reminded of the South Park episode "Raising the Bar."

So no, it's probably not that clothing companies are discriminating against fat people. It's more likely that you're too fat and rather than dealing with the cause of your body's current state you choose in your entitlement to insist that clothing ranges expand to accomodate you. 

Likewise, I'll continue altering my clothing and pray that vanity sizing doesn't make today's P00 a P0. Then, I'll either have to alter everything even more or get fat enough that I can fit into the clothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment