So, there's this new vinegar drink at Zion Mart that I always wanted to try, but didn't because I didn't want the same fiasco with the persimmon vinegar a few months ago to happen again. Basically, I saw "persimmon" next to the HongCho and though oh great a persimmon flavor vinegar drink! and asked one of the Korean ladies working there just to make sure. Except they weren't helpful in the end, at all. When I asked if the vinegar was for drinking, they looked over it, hemmed, hawed, and finally said that you can use it for drinking. I should have taken their hesitance more seriously, because when I went home, opened the stuff up, and poured a ratio of 1:4 water, IT WAS DISGUSTING. No persimmon flavor, not sweet, oh yeah, PURE VINEGAR. Thanks a lot, Zion Market ladies.
Back to the new vinegar drink, it's this rice vinegar drink. This time, I knew it was for drinking because I checked to make sure it had been blended with sugar. Which makes it drinkable. That day, there were two flavors of the drink in dispensers, so I thought, cool, I can try it before I buy it!
Nope. The moment I looked at the dispensers, this lady comes out of nowhere and asks me what I'm doing. The following conversation happened like this:
Lady: What you doing? You have question?
Me: I'd like to know how this drink tastes, I was thinking of buying it.
Lady: You know what this is?
Me: Yes the vinegar drink, so I'd like to try it.
Lady: How can you try if you don't know what is?
Me: Well, I normally buy HongCho and wanted to try this brand to see how it tastes.
Lady: You cannot taste.
Me: Excuse me?
Lady: You don't even know what this product is, how can you taste?
Me: No, I mean I've tasted it before so I wanted to try this one before I buy it.
Lady: This is this one, not this one. You don't even know how can you taste?
Me: I really just wanted to -
Lady: This product is this drink. How can you --
At this point, she was practically yelling at me for not knowing exactly what I wanted to taste and for not knowing what I would be tasting (which I did), and for the first time in my life, I held my hand up to her face, did the "whatever, bitch" face and hand motion, and walked off. I know it was rude, but I could not take it anymore. Whatever vitriol that lady had going on was completely unfounded. All I did was look interested in the product she was peddling. I didn't touch anything. It was as if I was a dumb teenager just looking to go sample hunting and she was protecting her product. I have half a mind to complain to someone about it, but we all know Asians normally don't give a shit about customer service and being welcoming. I half expected her to go running after me calling me rude and disrespectful.
I'm still mad about it. I forgot, but after I started writing this post the feelings are coming back.
Lost in translation? Maybe? But if you're going to be giving samples out, yelling at people and telling them they have no idea what they want *cough* Amy's Baking Company *cough* is not the way to go.
Monday, May 20, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment