Monday, May 21, 2012

Someday

Someday, I will be a mother. And I will try my very hardest to not be self-involved, to not make everything about myself. Because, when you become a parent, it is no longer about you. You can make it about you on the occasion so your kids don't get it in their heads that they are the center of your universe and can therefore do whatever they want, but overall it's about them. Their needs trump your needs.

We all want to give our children the best life possible. What kind of life is the best life? Is it one full of luxury and creature comforts that most of the world does not have? We know where this is going... it's not. The best life is filled with love, with acceptance, with honesty and compassion  and respect... No luxury dwelling or upper-class living standard can compete. Yet here, in this brick of a city, the former is often the standard.

I have this overwhelming need to procreate, but it's all because at this moment, I want to prove that I can do parenthood better. But that is a horrible reason to have a child, because it is not about me nor my issues...

No comments:

Post a Comment