I just read an article on a feminist blog-site about moral reasons for abortions. Oh, such a hotly discussed debate. To abort or not abort. How about, in cases of the mother's life, certain death, etc? How about if the kid's going to turn out disabled? I'm not talking about Asperger's; I'm talking about low-functioning autism, Down's, some developmental disability that will cost significant resources.
Back in the olden days, if a kid wasn't fit to survive, it would die. That's the circle of life. Technology and science has allowed us to prolong life and prevent death from coming into the house for as long as possible. And now, we have too many people on this planet. We are idealistic in our compassion and desire not to greet death.
It costs a lot to raise a child. A hell of a lot. To raise a child with disabilities? Compound that by at least 10. How many people have that much mental strength, faith and financial resource? If a child is growing in your uterus and you happen to have that kind of strength, I greatly admire you and wish you the best. If you started a blog, I'd probably follow it and cry at all the touching moments in your child's upbringing, marveling at your family's ability to triumph through the odds. If you don't, please do the rest of the world (and yourself) a favor. Be merciful.
Friday, November 30, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment