Friday, January 14, 2011

I Don't Have Parents

Why do I sleep late?
Do I really want to sleep late?
Does it matter if I sleep late?


Some parents have a pretty infantile way of showing they care about you. Like arguing for the sake of arguing just to try to get you to go to bed. Like that tactic still works when you're over 18.


It's not like I really have parents.
Is that such a bad thing to say?
What is the duty of a parent?
Am I such a bad daughter for pointing out such flaws?

So I'm 22 now, so I can just go about as I please and not tell anyone what I'm doing or where I'm going. I'm such a big girl. Yeah, I am, because I'm the one taking care of my brother, because we've learned to not expect anyone to come home. We live by ourselves and get an occasional visit from mom or dad. If I tell anyone that I will be home late, it will be my brother, not a figurehead.

The thing I don't get is, I didn't get any of these passive-aggressive guilt-trips when I was in China. That's because ignorance is bliss. For all you know, I coulda been a crackwhore in China and no one would have known.

My friend told me that her priest told her that now it's pretty common for offspring to be more educated than their parents. That they will become their parents and their parents will seem more like children to them, and when this time comes, we need to be patient with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment