Saturday, January 15, 2011

Ant Funeral

I've been battling ants the past few days. It started when my trashcan got infested because I didn't throw the caramel chocolate bar wrapper into the trashcan outside; I put it into the trashcan next to my desk. The next day there was a long line of ants, making their way, scavenging whatever orange peels, leftover caramel chocolate and phlegm on tissue papers was left. This went on for two days (I had hoped that the ants would just finish and leave, because ants gotta eat too). Then, I started seeing some larger ants which first made me think king ants cuz they didn't have wings, then this morning I saw one of the biggie ants chilling on a spot of carpet a couple inches from the trashcan and a bunch of the smaller worker ants surrounding it as if it was their highness... then it dawned on me, then I cracked. I was not having another situation like last year when ants decided to make a home around my power adapter.

So, I took acetone (yes, nail polish remover acetone) and poured a thin stream of it over the little pow-wow of ants. They started quivering, then one by one they crumpled, until the biggie queen ant breathed its last breath. After watching them die I took the bag which was still streaming with ants and dumped its ass.

Later, when I got home I looked at the spot where the ant carcasses used to be...


There were no more ant bodies. The other ants had carried them away, either to eat them or to use their bodies to make walls or to give them a funeral. Who knows. But... my carpet is ant carcass-free.

To this day, I still don't get it. There are rarely ant infestations in my kitchen but I regularly have to deal with them finding something leftover in my trashcan, taking a shortcut in my shower, partying like it was 2008 in my shower, even eating my discarded pads while I'm on my period. I'm not kidding.

Is this a sign that I'm dirty and that I live like a pig? I don't leave wrappers everywhere and all organic stuff is in a trash can.

No comments:

Post a Comment