Monday, July 5, 2010

Schwartz Value Inventory: A (Kinda) Analysis

For anyone who reads this blog uses MyType on Facebook and is friends with me, you've probably seen the many results that I've gotten. Over and over again. Frankly, I've been experimenting. I've been comparing MyType's Value quiz (basted on Shalom Schwartz's value inventory) with the original survey instrument used. It's pretty different, as a comparison here are my highest values, or, "guiding principles of my life."

Sample...
Schwartz VI:  Creativity (uniqueness, imagination)
MyType: Thinking up new ideas and being creative is important to her. She likes to do things in her own original way.

Schwartz VI MyType
83
79
78
78
75
74
71
59
53
48
Self-Direction
Benevolence
Hedonism
Achievement
Stimulation
Power
Universalism
Security
Conformity
Tradition
91
71
64
59
53
46
46
28
27
21
Power
Hedonism
Stimulation
Benevolence
Achievement
Self-Direction
Universalism
Conformity
Tradition
Security

Personally, I think the SVI is more academic and therefore more accurate if you understand what it entails; that is, you need to have a certain grasp of what each word means to use it, whereas the MyType version, I feel, can be used by anyone. You just click on whether or not you agree with the statement, for the most part.

Based on the numbers above, it seems though the SVI is more clustered in terms of percentiles while MyType's percentiles are really spread out. Don't know how the quiz is scored and matched and stuff, but yeah. Interesting stuff. I've tried again and again to see if my results on MyType could mimic the SVI, but I still get a similar result to the one above. At least my top 6 values are still (and have been) my top 6.

On a side thought, having my most important value be "power" makes me feel like... well, like a dictator. I'm not a dictator! > <

2 comments:

  1. hi that's very interesting comparison.
    Can I ask where you access the Schwartz SVI survey. I have been searching online and can not locate it.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi jane, i honestly cannot remember. i searched so many sources and downloaded so many papers... if i do find it, i'll get it to you. sorry for the delayed response, i need to change my settings to notify me of comments.

    ReplyDelete