Bear with my thoughts here... I was singing "Bohemian Rhapsody" and somehow started fuming over mansplaining and how some guys have this need to tell a girl how to do something without giving her the chance to try it herself.
Now I remember. When I was in a cappella, there was a part of Bohemian Rhapsody that I never really got right, mostly because I never bothered taking a close enough look at it. One day at rehearsal some of the guys decided to get on my case about it, telling me how easy it was, singing it for me, basically force feeding the notes to me. I'm sorry, did I want to know what it was? What gives you the right to just tell it to me? How does that help my learning? Do you feel good about yourself knowing that you denied me an opportunity to use my skills?
There were more instances of this, but this is just the one that came up while listening.
Why is it okay for a guy to "work through it," but it's just easier for a guy to tell a girl how to do it since "it'll be faster if I just tell you?"
I'm in full feminist mode today.
Friday, August 30, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment