So... I just took Mannes Conservatory of Music's "Techniques of Music Self-Test" to determine if my music theory knowledge was level with what they expect their incoming students to know. I don't know if it's undergraduate only or including graduate as well, but... Shit's stuff I learned in 3rd grade.
What's the subdominant of G Major. Seriously?
Is this the standard to which schools of music hold their students' incoming theory knowledge? I know my high school was an anomaly where every instrumentalist kid was an overachiever and AP Music Theory was an offered class... But not only did we demolish that test, we competed to see who got the highest score. I'm not talking about a 5, or an A. I'm talking about A+++, 125%, a perfect score on the AP exam and bonus points if your sightreading was perfect without a pitch reference.
With our woefully incomplete knowledge on the inner workings of musical language, our dilly dallying earned us a 125% in AP Music Theory. Seriously? This is the standard to which the US holds its music students to?
I know that it was just a little online quizette so that kids who are thinking of going to music school can start studying up, but to those with even a little theory knowledge, that test is a joke. What a lot of schools are now considering as "proficient" I consider very basic knowledge that everyone should have. Is it because theory only encompasses so much? Is a test like AP Music Theory the pinnacle of applicable knowledge? Like the neurobiology of music? Fine. If it is, that's fine. Time to learn jazz theory. Require entrants to have a basic comprehensive knowledge of music theory, harmony, dictation and reading. Require students to study jazz theory, alternative theories and harmonies (that 12-tone stuff), modes&shit. Actually utilize basic knowledge to start analyzing.
Why are people graduating with degrees in music only knowing how to read one clef, with barely a concept of relative pitch? Basic, basic things you should have learned as a Grade 1 music student.
I am a snob. But is this really the standard? I think it's time to start raising our expectations. I'm going to start with the young'uns and go play with puppets. If I end up going into education, I'm going to make it my mission to make sure every kid that leaves my school knows what a subdominant is by 6th grade. And its practical application. I better start studying.
Wednesday, October 31, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment