Monday, June 25, 2012

VS (Again)

I'm going to rant about body expectations (again). I think last time, if there was a last time, I can't remember... I think last time I ranted, tumblr didn't exist. If it did, I didn't know about it. Now, it does. And a lot of things about tumblr piss me off (I have definitely ranted about tumblr), but one of the newest things to really get on my nerves are the pictures of the trim, toned, almost too-skinny waists and inner thighs of young adult women.

Oh honey, what happened to your face? I've seen enough of these pictures through people I follow on tumblr (and whom I should stop following cuz the stuff they reblog pisses me off). Think your body is the only thing that matters? My body is banging, but I can't show you the whole package because I'm a butter face and/or I don't value any other part of myself. Show me your butter face, you cowardess! Your head is part of your body, and when we see your face, we see your eyes. We see your soul. We see your brain. Are you scared that we'll see how insecure you are about your psyche?

When I was in high school, my mother showed me a Victoria's Secret catalog, and told me that those womens' bodies were perfect and that I should strive to have that kind of figure. One, I'm a full foot shorter than most of them. Two, I'm not Brazilian. Yeah yeah, I know I'm generalizing. But when I think of VS, I think of Adriana Lima and that other Brazilian chick whose name starts with an "A," and they're both Brazilian. But, I digress.



Seriously people, these women aren't normal! How have 5'11, stick-thin-yet-somehow-bodacious-with-the-help-of-pushup-bras women become the beauty norm? Oh, I know why, because it's unattainable!!!

I found my mother's delusional expectations of what my body should like ridiculous, and sadly after seeing picture after picture on tumblr of VS girls and midsection pictures of girls striving to be fit, healthier or whatever they're going for, I see that it's a norm in some communities. People have always called me stick-thin. I credit it to good genes. I'm just a small person. I wouldn't consider myself too skinny, because I don't exercise and I have a gut that I can suck in when necessary. I need to start working out, because my metabolism is slowing down.

But back to the thinspiration posts with girl posting chest-to-inner-thigh pictures of themselves in perfect body progress. I wonder why none of these girls have reblogged these pictures:



Because, you know, you might as well start aspiring to look like that ^^^ when that's all you post pictures of. JUST SAYIN'.

P.S. Models and professional photoshoots don't count.

No comments:

Post a Comment